University Writing Awards
2015 University Writing Awards
For 2014 calendar year
Deadline for Submissions is Friday, January 30, 2015
The University Writing Committee is seeking faculty nominations of student writings for this year’s University Writing Award Competition. Nominations will be welcomed for the following categories:
- Graduate Creative Writing: Fiction ($500)
- Graduate Creative Writing: Nonfiction ($500)
- Graduate Creative Writing: Poetry ($500)
- Graduate Scholarly Writing: Argumentative or Expository ($500)
- Undergraduate Creative Writing: Fiction ($325)
- Undergraduate Creative Writing: Nonfiction ($325)
- Undergraduate Creative Writing: Poetry ($325)
- Undergraduate Scholarly Writing: Argumentative or Expository ($325)
A Nomination Form must accompany each submission. A PDF of both documents must be sent to the Faculty Senate Office at FacultySenate@unt.edu before Friday, January 30, 2015 by 4:00 pm. Below are specific guidelines:
- The pieces submitted must have been written between January 1 and December 31, 2014.
- Professors must nominate students; however, students may ask to be nominated. The Nomination Form must be signed by the student and the nominating faculty member.
- Students must have been enrolled full time or part time during at least one long semester of the 2014 calendar year.
- English is the language of the competition. Occasional phrases in other languages are acceptable.
- Students may submit in more than one category. Each submission may be as short as a single page and as long as 20 pages.
- Each submission must be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins, page numbers in upper right-hand corner, with the student’s name and the title of each work on a separate Name and Title page.
- Submissions must not have won previous awards or have been accepted for publication by a student or professional journal.
- Students must own sole copyright of their work prior to submission. Students must not have contracted professionals to support the research, writing, and editing associated with the submission.
Awards recipients will be recognized at the
Honors Day ceremony on April 10, 2015