University Writing Awards
2017 University Writing Awards
(For the 2016 calendar year)
Deadline for submissions has been extended to Friday, February 24, 2017 at 4:00pm
The University Writing Committee is seeking faculty nominations of student writings for this year’s University Writing Awards Competition. Nominations will be welcomed in the following categories:
- Graduate Creative Writing: Fiction ($500)
- Graduate Creative Writing: Nonfiction ($500)
- Graduate Creative Writing: Poetry ($500)
- Graduate Scholarly Writing: Argumentative or Expository ($500)
- Undergraduate Creative Writing: Fiction ($325)
- Undergraduate Creative Writing: Nonfiction ($325)
- Undergraduate Creative Writing: Poetry ($325)
- Undergraduate Scholarly Writing: Argumentative or Expository ($325)
A Nomination Form must accompany each submission. All submissions must be provided to the Faculty Senate Office at FacultySenateAwards@unt.edu by email no later than Friday, February 17, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. Below are specific guidelines:
- The pieces submitted must have been written between January 1 and December 31, 2016.
- Professors must nominate students; however, students may ask to be nominated. The student and nominating faculty member must sign the nomination form.
- Students must have been enrolled full time or part time during at least one long semester of the 2016 calendar year.
- English is the language of the competition. Occasional phrases in other languages are acceptable.
- Students may submit in more than one category. Each submission may be as short as a single page and as long as 20 pages (not counting the Name and Title cover page).
- No submissions longer than 20 pages will be accepted.
- Each submission must be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins, page numbers in upper right-hand corner, with the student’s name and the title of each work on a separate Name and Title page. No identifying information should be on the other pages of the submission.
- Each piece must be in a separate email sent to the Faculty Senate Office at FacultySenateAwards@unt.edu. Each email should include: (1) a pdf of the completed Nomination Form, and (2) a separate pdf with the submission, which should include its Name and Title cover page.
- Submissions must not have won previous awards or have been accepted for publication by a student or professional journal.
- Students must own sole copyright of their work prior to submission. Students must not have contracted professionals to support the research, writing, and editing associated with the submission.
Awards recipients will be recognized at the
Honors Day ceremony in April 2017
University Writing Committee