J.H. Shelton Excellence in Teaching Award
Eligibility and Selection Criteria 2015
Nominations deadline is 5:00 pm, Friday, February 6, 2015
Complete application packet deadline is 5:00 pm on Friday, February 27, 2015
This annual award, named in honor of UNT alumnus Joe Houston Shelton, recognizes annually a full-time faculty member for a record of outstanding teaching at the University of North Texas for at least a five-year period. The recipient of the $1,500 award will be recognized at the “Salute to Faculty Excellence Dinner and Ceremony” in the fall semester of 2015.
All full-time faculty members (including lecturers) are eligible, but previous recipients of the award are not eligible for nomination for five years following the receipt of the award.
Faculty may be nominated by the Personnel Affairs Committee (PAC) of a department, division, school, or college or by any ad-hoc committee of three or more tenured/tenure-track faculty members.
The selection is based on submitted evidence that substantiates and documents teaching excellence over at least a five-year period of time while at UNT. The Faculty Awards Committee is free to solicit additional input regarding the teaching record of any nominee.
Complete application packet should include:
- An application form signed by the award nominee and his/her chair and dean.
- A current curriculum vita that highlights teaching awards (received and nominated), teaching-related research efforts, teaching innovations, new courses developed, courses taught, etc., providing clear evidence that the nominee has made outstanding teaching contributions to the university.
- A one-page statement of the nominee's teaching philosophy and perceptions of his/her teaching activities.
- A tabulated summary of departmental student evaluations over the past five or more years that shows the nominee's relative standing in his/her department.
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from the nominee's Personnel Affairs Committee (PAC) or any ad-hoc nominating committee of three or more tenured/tenure-track faculty members, and two more from peer faculty members or teaching colleagues. A letter from the department chair or dean is optional, but should be counted as part of the three letters. The nominee is responsible for requesting these letters of recommendation.
The Faculty Awards Committee annually reviews nominations and selects a single award recipient by rating each nominee on a 1-5 scale (with 1 being the highest and 5 being the lowest), which provides consistency in the evaluation and comparison of applicants. The award is given based on the mean of the committee members' scoring.
Use of Award Funds:
Award recipients may use their designated funds at their discretion to enhance or develop their teaching or scholarly activities.
Nominations can be made by sending an email to the Faculty Senate Office at FacultySenate@unt.edu with the name and contact information of the nominee by 5:00 pm on Friday, February 6, 2016. Please confirm with the nominee that he/she is willing to apply for the award before submitting his/her name for consideration.
Complete application packets should be submitted in PDF format to the Faculty Awards Committee at FacultySenate@unt.edu by 5:00 pm on Friday, February 27, 2015.