Chair: Eddie Meaders
Functions: The Committee on the Status of LGBT faculty shall study university, state and federal civil rights and equal-employment laws and regulations regarding the status of LGBT faculty in the university community. They will investigate how visibility of the LGBT communities on campus can be enhanced to provide a better picture of what it would be like for a prospective UNT citizen who belongs to an LGBT community to thrive and succeed at UNT.
Membership: The committee shall consist of eleven members, one from each voting group, the chair of the committee who will be elected by a simple majority of the Committee for a 3 year term; 2-3 faculty at-large positions; 3 lecturers (ex officio non-voting) representing the 3 ranks of lecturers; 2-3 staff members (ex officio non-voting); 2 graduate students involved in some form with faculty-like employment (e.g. teaching assistants, teaching fellows and research assistants); and a representative from the Vice President’s Office of Equity and Diversity.
Terms: Faculty from voting groups will have 3 year terms and the at-large positions will be for 1 year and are renewable at the discretion of the Committee. Non-voting members will be approved by the Committee and will serve for a one year term.
* Indicates Second Term
- Group I: Adetty Perez-Miles (AEAH) - Term Ends 2021
- Group II: Jacob Mangum (LIBR) - Term Ends 2019
- Group III: VACANT (Wang)
- Group IV: Regina Branton (PSCI) - Term Ends 2021
- Group V: Mary Curtis (ACCT) - Term Ends 2019
- Group VI: Caitlyn Bennett (CHE) - Term Ends 2021
- Group VII: Megan Morrissey (COMM) - Term Ends 2019
- Group VIII: Don Taylor (MUSIC) - Term Ends 2019
- At-L: Scott Warren (LTEC) - Term Ends 2019
- At-L: Nicoladie Tam (BIOL) - Term Ends 2019
- At-L: Deborah Armintor (ENGL) - Term Ends 2019
Ex-Officio non-voting members (appointments by the committee):
Staff Representatives (2-3)
Lecturer Representatives (3) 2018-2019
Eddie Meaders (PSCI) - Principal Lecturer
Jara Carrington (ANTH) - Lecturer
Laetitia Knight (WLLC) - Sr. Lecturer
Institutional Equity & Diversity Representative
Alex Sylvester - Institutional Equity & Diverstiy Representative
Graduate Student Representatives:
Committee on the Status of LGBT Faculty Charges:
- Assess the institutional climate at UNT for LGBT faculty. The Committee intends to examine topics that would improve the environments in which LGBT faculty function, identify current or potential problem areas and suggest possible strategies for addressing these topics to the Senate and UNT administrators. The Committee will have a representative on the OED’s task force convened by VP Gilda Garcia that is charged with addressing policy issues relevant to the LGBT communities at UNT
- Review the visibility of LGBT communities at UNT to both current members of the UNT community and prospective members of the UNT community. This charge will include reviews of material currently posted that address LGBT issues at UNT as well as media in all other formats. Part of this charge is to investigate how visibility of the LGBT communities on campus can be enhanced to provide a better picture of what it would be like for a prospective UNT citizen who belongs to an LGBT community to thrive and succeed at UNT. Provide recommendations for improvement.
- Review the current state of affairs in the state of Texas in regard to domestic partnership benefits to state institutions. When appropriate, the Committee will propose actions to the Senate and UNT administrators in regard to UNT’s position on advancing domestic partnership benefits and until authorized by the state legislative bodies, provide recommendations to accommodate current and future UNT citizens. The Committee will familiarize itself with the State law as well as the progress the Texas State Employees Union is making on this issue. The Committee will attempt to clarify the confusion around what exactly is prohibited by the State and the University.